Secondary Suites Program
Secondary units are self-contained residential units with a private kitchen, bathroom facilities and sleeping areas within dwellings or within structures ancillary to a dwelling (e.g., above laneway garages). Second units are also referred to as secondary suites, basement apartments, accessory apartments, granny flats, in-law apartments, or nanny suites.
Collingwood recently passed a bylaw to expand the rules for accessory apartments and secondary suites in the community. This will allow secondary suites in semi-detached homes with larger frontages and allow coach houses on detached homes.
Renting out a garden suite or secondary unit is a great way to fill a housing need in our area, while providing you with some extra income each month.
- The Secondary Suites Program is offered throughout Ontario as an effective way to increase the supply of affordable housing.
- Applicants can receive funding of up to $25,000 per unit for the creation of a secondary or garden suite.
- Funding can only be used to create or legalize secondary suites in zoned residential properties. Both Simcoe and Grey County offer this program to local residents.
- Funding amount is based on the cost to create the secondary suite and amount of equity in the home.
- Funding in each county is limited and depending on the amount of funding available, applicants may be advised that they are on a waiting list.
- Property taxes and mortgage must be paid up-to-date.
- Application intake for the Secondary Suites Program is year round.
- Construction must begin within 4 months of receiving funding approval and suite must be available for rent within 2 months of project completion.
- The unit must be rented to a tenant whose income meets program guidelines. These amounts are indicated on the Secondary Suite application.
- The unit can be rented to family members.
Simcoe County Secondary Suites Program
The Secondary Suites Program’s objective is to increase the number of affordable rental units in Simcoe County by assisting owners to create secondary and/or garden suites. The Secondary Suites Program is being delivered with funding from the County of Simcoe and Federal/Provincial governments. This program provides financial assistance in the form of a 15-year forgivable loan of up to a maximum of $25,000 to create a secondary or garden suite.
- Secondary and Garden Suite Information Package
- Secondary Suites Application & Requirements
- Maximum Market Rents and Maximum Tenant Income – 2018
- Investment in Affordable Housing for Ontario
- Wasaga Beach Guide to Second Dwelling Units
- Wasaga Beach Map for Permitted Secondary Suites
The Blue Mountains Secondary Suites Program
Secondary Suites Grant Program provides financial assistance in the form of a grant of 10% of the cost to create a secondary suite to a maximum of $5000.
Grey County Secondary Suites Program
Grey County will be delivering three components of theInvestment in Affordable Housing (IAH) for Ontario Program; the Ontario Renovates and the Homeownership Program and the Rent Supplement Program.