Stay Safe: Covid Procedures for Buying and Selling Real Estate
The realities of COVID-19 have changed the way we do many things, including the way we buy and sell real estate. Ontario is in the midst of another shutdown until January 23rd, 2021. Real Estate is deemed an essential service across Canada, so the real estate industry has recommended protocol and procedures to keep buyers and sellers safe.
During shutdown periods all real estate transactions should be virtual with no open houses and showings only if necessary. When it comes to doing business during shutdown, we urge our clients to use virtual tools first. Please see our virtual tools for Buyers and Sellers
The Greg Syrota Team provides the recommended procedures for real estate transactions:
Instead of open houses we use safe, in-person showings by appointment following public health guidelines.
- For Buyers & Sellers: We provide professional video tours, floor plans, property brochures & detailed descriptions to give buyers a good feel for a home.
- We limit face-to-face interactions unless it is absolutely necessary. We will continue to work remotely with virtual showings, electronic signatures and virtual meetings
- Open houses are banned during shutdown (including pre-construction).
- Short-term rentals (e.g., cottages, cabins) can only to be provided to individuals who are in need of housing.
In Person Showings
- All local health officials’ instructions must be followed. Physical distancing, use of personal protective equipment (PPE), such as masks, and cleaning and disinfection before and after the showing. Visit Simcoe County Covid Resource Page for local updates .
- Please re-schedule face-to-face meetings and/or showings if you or anyone in your home is feeling unwell or have potentially been exposed to Covid. We will ask some health screening questions prior to entering the home.
- No hand shaking: Exercise physical distancing of at least two metres (6 feet) at all times.
- To minimize health risks, it is best if homeowners are not present during the showing.
- Showings are limited to 30 minutes to limit the amount of time in the home.
- Showings are limited to the parties to the contract only. Public health limits on the number of people in a gathering must be strictly followed.
- Before and after entering a home, the agent and clients should wash their hands with warm water and soap and use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Please do not use the bathroom during the showing.
Our ultimate goal is to provide professional services while keeping our clients and service providers safe.